Skip to content

Financial Information

1. Financial Aid Policy

Financial Aid is applicable to year-long and semester abroad programs. Award packages are adjusted as necessary to reflect cost differences between those of Rider University and the host institution.

Rider University scholarship awards are not applicable for Non-Rider programs in countries where the University has its own exchange and/or affiliate programs.

In order to ensure that study abroad is available to as many students as possible, Rider University financial aid may be applied to a maximum of two (2) semesters of study abroad. Permission to study abroad for three (3) semesters and still receive Rider University financial aid may be granted in exceptional cases.

Enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Rider University may be considered enrollment at Rider University for purposes of applying for federal student financial aid.

2. Study Abroad Tuition & Fees

Each study abroad application requires a nonrefundable $125 application fee for semester & summer long programs and a $125 application fee for short-term programs. This payment must be submitted to the cashiers office using the deposit form which can be downloaded once you have started your application.

Students who participate in Rider Programs pay Rider tuition. Every student will be responsible for Rider's technology fee. For programs in which housing is included by the provider, students pay the Rider housing rate.

3. Scholarships

The OIE recommends all students apply for scholarships to help fund their study abroad program. The OIE holds a Scholarships application workshop once a semester.

Tip: Many Scholarships have earlier deadlines than the OIE, therefore be in close communication with the OIE to Fast Track your application to meet your scholarship deadline.

4. Maintaining your Financial Aid

Deposits and early payments must be made by the student since financial aid cannot be posted prior to the start of the academic semester

A FAFSA form must be filed for students to qualify for several types of aid. Many scholarships also require students to submit FAFSA to Rider University.

In order to continue receiving financial aid, students must:

  • Have courses approved; courses should be related to the student's major(s) or minor(s), or to other graduation requirements or elective credit options.
  • Enroll in courses that are accepted toward completion of the Rider degree.
  • Complete a formal agreement with the Office of International Education. Students are responsible for contacting the office to obtain the agreement form.
  • Have another institution's study abroad program approved by Rider prior to enrolling.

5. Responsibilities when studying abroad

Fill out your FAFSA before March 1.

When you have completed all necessary information (including Consortium Agreement), schedule first appointment with Ali Colon  in Financial Aid – call 609-896-5360. Multiple appointments will be necessary before you leave to study abroad.

Applying for your refund: Checks are issued after the drop/add period if you have a true credit on your account. Bank balances will be deducted before refund amount is determined.

Loans need to be processed in a timely manner.

Verification: Some students are selected for verification and Financial Aid may need taxes, W2's of student and parents as well as completed Quality Assurance Verification form. If not received, all Financial Aid will not be paid into the student's account and will hold up any refund. Make sure to comply with any requests for information from NJ higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA).

Student may email questions to Ali Colon

Notify your Credit Card Company and bank that you are studying abroad and will have charges outside the U.S.