Skip to content


Study Abroad Policies

image 1

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

image 2

I. Studying abroad during senior year (final 30 credits)

Students may study abroad in their senior year. However, students should ensure    through careful consultation with their faculty adviser(s) that such study does not result in an unanticipated delay of graduation.

II. Summer Study Abroad on Rider Programs

All summer study abroad students doing Rider programs (INT316) are registered for Summer I in order to facilitate the processing of financial aid. Students who enroll in two successive summer study abroad programs will be enrolled in Summer I and Summer II. They will be required to fill out a College of Continuing Studies (CCS) Registration Form for each summer session .

III. Students with disabilities

Rider University is committed to assisting students with disabilities. Students with disabilities should be aware that accommodations received in the United States may not be available abroad due to different laws in other countries. It is recommended that they carefully choose a study abroad destination with this in mind and in conjunction with the Center for International Education (CIE) staff and the Services for Students with Disabilities Office .

IV. Applicability and retention of financial aid

Rider University considers study abroad integral to its mission and is committed to making it accessible and affordable. Therefore, student financial aid, including merit scholarships, is applicable to yearlong and semester study abroad. Award packages are adjusted as necessary and as possible to reflect cost differences between those of Rider University and the host institution. Rider University scholarship awards are generally not applicable to NON-RIDER programs in countries where the University has its own exchange and/or affiliate programs.

In order to insure that study abroad is available to as many students as possible, Rider University financial aid may be applied to a maximum of two (2) semesters of study abroad. Permission to study abroad for three (3) semesters and still receive Rider University financial aid may be granted in exceptional cases. See Policy V.

In order to continue receiving financial aid, students must have their courses approved by their academic adviser. Students must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits per semester to receive financial aid. The CIE staff assists students in completing the registration process. In addition, students must complete a formal agreement with the CIE and the Financial Aid Office.

V. Maximum number of credits and semesters allowed for Study Abroad

Students may study abroad for a maximum of two (2) semesters. Students who transfer into Rider University with the equivalent of two or more years of university credits (54 credits or more) are limited to one (1) semester of study abroad. Permission to study abroad for one (1) additional semester may be granted in exceptional cases. Such cases must include study abroad directly related to the student's major or minor studies and must be endorsed by the student's faculty adviser(s) and academic dean. Examples of such cases are the need to acquire greater language proficiency or multiple language proficencies, programs that require yearlong study and/or internships, or yearlong courses at a university abroad.

VI. Study Abroad application deadlines

Students who hope to study abroad as a Rider University student are advised to begin talking to their academic adviser(s) early in their studies. The first semester of their first year is not too early to begin this discussion.

Application deadlines are as follows:

  • August 15th Spring
  • March 1st for Summer
  • February 1st for Fall & Academic Year

Deadlines are strictly adhered to.

Students are responsible for checking the provider deadline for their study abroad program, as this deadline may occur before the Rider University deadline.

VII. Program eligibility and approval

Specific eligibility and approval criteria and processes, application documents and fees and application deadlines can be found on the Study Abroad webpage.

Approval for study abroad is conducted on a rolling basis up to and including the application deadlines by the Center for International Education administrative staff, a representative of the Provost's Office, and with support from the Offices of Community Standards and Financial Aid, which provide information about students' disciplinary and financial status, respectively. Approval is granted to students who meet the 2.5 grade point requirement, submit required application materials by the deadline, receive supportive letters of recommendation, and meet disciplinary and financial requirements. No student will be approved for study abroad without completion of a "Course Selection Approval" form, obtained from the Center for International Education and including signatures from the student's adviser and academic dean.

VIII. Study abroad of second-semester freshmen

Freshmen who wish to study abroad during the second semester of the freshman year must submit academic performance reports for study abroad from each course in which they are currently enrolled. The reports must be signed and must indicate that the student's current anticipated course grade is a C+ or better. They must also submit two letters of recommendation; one of the letters of recommendation may be from a high school teacher. Additionally they must submit their high school transcript that indicates a grade point average of 2.75 or better. Approval of the Academic Dean and an interview with the Director of the Center for International Education are also required.

IX. Study abroad of transfer students

Transfer students who are in their first semester at Rider University and apply to study abroad the subsequent semester must submit two academic progress reports for study abroad from courses in which they are currently enrolled. The reports must be signed and must indicate that the student's current anticipated course grade is a C or better. At least one of these progress reports should be from a faculty member from whom they have NOT requested a letter of recommendation. Additionally they must submit their transfer university transcript indicating a grade point average of 2.75 or better, and 1 letter of recommendation from a faculty member at that institution from whom they took at least one course. An interview with the Director of the Center for International Education is also required.

X. Study Abroad course load semester limit

The maximum number of credits any student may take abroad for one semester is normally 17 credits. Qualified students with a 3.0 GPA or better may take 18 credits.

The Department of Foreign Languages and Literature has credit applicability limitations for its majors and minors. Students should contact the Department for specific information.

XI. Extension of current study abroad

Students currently abroad who wish to extend their study in the same location must adhere to the following policy:

1. Extension of Application Deadlines:

  1. November 1 to extend fall study for the spring
  2. April 1 to extend spring study for the fall and/or for the summer
  3. June 15 to extend summer I to summer II study
  4. July 15 to extend summer study for the fall

2. Required forms and approvals for re-submission to CIE:

  1. Study Abroad Application form EXCEPT FOR ESSAY
  2. Course Selection Approval Form signed by appropriate adviser/administrators and Course Request Form
  3. Email from student authorizing CIE to sign Course Registration form on student behalf.
  4. Confirmation that student has secured housing and has investigated VISA extension requirements.
  5. Orientation documents to include: "Waiver of Liability," "Code of Conduct," "Medical Insurance," "Emergency Contact Information," "Health Disclosure", and "Physician's Release"
  6. Updated Official Transcript (click here for transcript requests). You must DOWNLOAD the request form, print it and sign it and fax or scan it as per the instructions.
  7. $150 Non-Refundable Application fee in the form of a personal check, cashier's check or money order made out to "Rider University."

3. You do NOT need to resubmit your personal essay or faculty/staff recommendations.

Students currently abroad who wish to extend their study but at a different location: All of the above deadlines, required forms and approvals must be complied with.

XII. Housing

Rider University study abroad housing policy requires students who study abroad during the academic year (excluding summer) on a Rider program, that is, a Rider exchange or other so-designated program, to live in the housing that is provided by the program.

For programs provided by a third-party provider, students who can secure and supply to the Center for International Education written approval of the Provider to live in housing that is not offered by said Provider will be allowed by Rider University to live in non-provider housing as long as Rider University's affiliation agreement with said Provider contains an indemnification clause.

For summer programs, the third-party provider policy applies as per paragraph two above.

XIII. Registration

Students receive Rider University credit for study abroad based on the actual courses taken while abroad. Students who register for Rider University programs will enroll in INT314 (fall), INT315 (spring), or INT316 (summer). Students who register for non-Rider programs must secure Off-Campus Course Approval using appropriate course approval forms. All students must select and secure adviser approval for the courses they plan to take abroad. If students need to change their course selection upon arrival at their study abroad destination, it is their responsibility to secure approval from their adviser(s) and notify the Center for International Education of the changes and adviser approval. Unless students secure Rider University course equivalents from their adviser, appropriate chair or dean (including the satisfaction of major, minor or core requirements or electives), the course credits will transfer as elective credits only.

XIV. Credit minima and foreign credit systems

In order to be eligible for financial aid, students who study abroad during the academic year are expected to be enrolled full-time, as defined both by Rider University, where the minimum number of credits per semester for full-time status is 12, and by the host institution/program.

Credit systems vary greatly among institutions, and it is the students' responsibility to make certain that they know how many credits are expected. Information on the credit system used by the host institution/program may be available on relevant WebPages, and/or students can email the program provider regarding credit equivalencies. The CIE can help students in this determination.

XV. Grades

All course credits earned abroad are transferred as Pass/Fail on the student's transcript. Students must receive a C or better in a course to receive credit. Rider course and credit equivalencies are listed on the Rider transcript, as are the host institution and/or provider, program location and courses taken.

XVI. Reapplying to study abroad, changing programs and postponing programs

A. Reapplying to Study Abroad:
Students who are have been asked to reapply to a study abroad program will receive instructions in the letter of rejection specifying the reasons for rejection.

Should the students decide to reapply for the same program in the following semester, they do not need to resubmit the entire application, unless specified in the letter. They are required to submit a new application form, an updated transcript, and a revised course plan, signed and approved by their faculty adviser. Students who have been rejected for disciplinary reasons will be interviewed by members of the CIE and the Provost's Office to determine the suitability of their acceptance for study abroad.

Re-applications must be submitted by the appropriate application deadlines.

B. Reapplying for a different program in a subsequent semester:
If a student who has been rejected decides to apply to a different program instead, the student must submit an entirely new application. The aforementioned disciplinary procedure also applies.

C. Postponing Study Abroad:
If a student who has been accepted to a study abroad program needs to postpone study in the program for one semester, the student needs to submit a Study Abroad Deferment form, a new application form, a revised course plan (signed and approved by the faculty adviser), and an updated transcript by the appropriate deadline.

If a student who has been accepted to a study abroad program needs to postpone study on that program more than one semester, the student needs to submit an entirely new application by the appropriate deadline.

XVII. Withdrawal and Cancellation policies and penalties

A. Withdrawal from Study Abroad: Students are required to submit all Rider University required documents by the deadlines provided by the Center for International Education (CIE). Failure to do so will result in ineligibility to study abroad. Students ineligible due to non-compliance will be withdrawn from study abroad and will have to course select for Rider University courses.

Should a student decide to withdraw from study abroad subsequent to acceptance, the student is required to submit to the CIE a Study Abroad Withdrawal Notification form. The student is still responsible for any cancellation fees and penalties charged by the provider.

B. Cancellation Policy and Penalties: 

Powered by Terra Dotta

Info This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Read cookie policy Accept?